[Cuis-dev] Proposal to change the way debugger lists categories

Joaquín Singer josinger at fi.uba.ar
Sun Jul 11 03:13:24 PDT 2021

Hi everyone,

I'm using Cuis in a class at my university and these last few weeks I've
been making small changes to the image with the intention of solving some
things that personally bothered me a little / I thought could be improved.

If you don't mind, I'd like to share some of the changes with you so you
can discuss whether they are worth incorporating directly into the base
image.

For example, in the debugger, when the create button is clicked, after
selecting a class, a list of the categories present in the hierarchy
appears in alphabetical order, and it is usually easier for me to retype it
with the option "new..." than to go through the list using "more..." in
search of the one I want. The way this works seems much more practical to
me when you want to change the category of a message, where it appears, in
addition to alphabetically, hierarchically ordered.

I am attaching a changeset that modifies this.

On the other hand, since the allMethodCategoriesIntegratedThrough: message
gives you the categories ordered alphabetically, I kept using it but
sending as an argument the same class that receives it. Is it okay to do it
this way? Or it would be more declarative to get them with the
"organization categories" messages and then sort them, in the same way as
categoryFromUserWithPrompt: for :? Another option that might make sense is
to create a new message called allMethodCategoriesSortedAlphabetically that
does not have to receive any arguments and also use it in
categoryFromUserWithPrompt: for:

I have changesets with either of these last two options as well, so if you
decide to make the change and any of these seem more appropriate than the
implementation I'm submitting now, I can submit them.

Cheers,

Joaquín.

PS: Thanks for the work you do maintaining Cuis, I'm having a really good
time with it.