[Cuis-dev] Proposal to change the way debugger lists categories

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Thu Jul 15 06:53:47 PDT 2021

Hi Joaquín!
 Thank you for the contribution! It is a great one. It makes selecting the
method category simpler. As you said, sorting the categories that way is
much much better.
 I made some changes to make it more declarative and testable. I also added
tests to the way categories are sorted. I hope you don't mind.
 It is on github now!

Cheers!
Hernan.

PD: I'm back for just one day :-)

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 2:38 AM Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hi Joaquín,
>
> See below.
>
> On 7/14/21 10:16 PM, Joaquín Singer wrote:
> > Hi gerald,
> >
> > I noticed this behavior but, if I didn't misunderstand, it doesn't allow
> > you to see the categories that are in the following pages. What this
> change
> > does is show the list in the same way that it is shown when you want to
> > change the category of a message, having in the top all the categories in
> > the current class, then in the superclass, and so on.
> Yep, the following page is AFIR just a submenu.
> >
> > I like showing the last assigned or created on top of everything, at
> first
> > what I wanted to do was something similar, but then I realized that doing
> > it in the same hierarchical way as the option to change the category, was
> > useful in almost all cases and more consistent with the other
> > functionality. But if you think it's better to show it this way, I can
> > modify it.
> Ok, I will try to use our changes for some time.
> >
> > Did you tested it?
> Nope! I did touch my computer for only some minutes and did
> not use Cuis at all. Me sorry.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Joaquín.
> >
> > El mar, 13 jul 2021 a las 4:12, Gerald Klix (<csh.00 at klix.ch>) escribió:
> >
> >> Hi Joaquin,
> >>
> >> I have not yet tested your change set(s), I will do so today.
> >>
> >> But it should be pointed out, that you can type the first N letters
> >> when a menu is displayed, which disables all menu items
> >> that do not start with that prefix. Additionally you can
> >> use the up- and down-keys to select an item.
> >> In this way it is possible to select a category
> >> quickly using the keyboard.
> >>
> >> I frequently miss the categories I used recently in the menu,
> >> therefore IHMO a useful change would be to offer the last 4 (or N)
> >> categories assigned or created.
> >> When I add "instance creation' methods, I often miss the
> >> "instance creation" category at the instance side of class.
> >> Maybe it would make sense to present the class side categories
> >> in the instance side categories menu (and vice versa).
> >>

> >> Best Regards,
> >>
> >> Gerald

> I've
> some
> >> improved.

> you

> retype
> >> it
> >> in

> >> message
> do
> >> it
> as
> >> is
> >> that

> >> you
> the

> good
> >>>

> Best Regards,
>
> Gerald

<https://10pines.com/>Hernán WilkinsonSoftware Developer, Teacher & Coach

Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

+54 11 6091 3125

@HernanWilkinson