[Cuis-dev] cuis svg plugin

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Sat Jul 17 23:56:02 PDT 2021

On a Dell workstation with the latest OpenIndiana:

$ prtdiag -v | more
System Configuration: Dell Inc. Precision 3640 Tower
BIOS Configuration: Dell Inc. 1.2.3 08/06/2020

==== Processor Sockets ====================================

Version                          Location Tag
-------------------------------- --------------------------
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10100 CPU @ 3.60GHz U3E1

This is a system with i3-10100 CPU from Intel.

Cuis works fine with the SVG with and without plugin.

If I first try without a plugin:

$ pkg list | grep smalltalk
runtime/smalltalk/cog-spur                        5.0.2967-2020.0.1.2        i--
runtime/smalltalk/cog-spur-display-X11            5.0.2967-2020.0.1.2        i--
runtime/smalltalk/cog-spur-nodisplay              5.0.2967-2020.0.1.2        i--
runtime/smalltalk/cog-spur-ssl                    5.0.2967-2020.0.1.2        i--

In this case the VEP (VectorEnginePlugin) is not installed.

I can git clone the Cuis repo:

git clone https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev.git .
sh clonePackageRepos.sh
Cloning into 'SVG'...

Then when I run squeak VM (which in this case is the cog-spur VM from OpenSmalltalk),
I can select in Cuis:

 Changes -> Install New Updates

and it updates the Cuis5.0-4619.image image to #4674

I can then fileIn SVG.pkg.st (from Open -> FileIn) and run in a WorkSpace  SVGElementMorph exampleLion

That works fine without a plugin.

It is also fast.   On this i3-10100 CPU with a NVIDIA GPU scaling and rotation of the lion SVG is fast.

Optionally it also works with the plugin.

If I add the plugin :

runtime/smalltalk/cog-spur-vep                    5.0.2967-2020.0.1.2        i--

the VEP is

$ pkg info cog-spur-vep
             Name: runtime/smalltalk/cog-spur-vep
         Category: Development/Smalltalk
            State: Installed
        Publisher: openindiana.org

The same test works fine , this time with the VEP loaded

$ pldd `pgrep squeak` | grep Vector
/usr/lib/amd64/squeak/5.0-202106151423-cog/VectorEnginePlugin.so

Frankly in terms of speed, I must say that the system without a plugin is also very usable.

So although the plugin is nice, I'm under the impression that it is an optional performance enhancement.

This is actually the nice thing of Cuis:  the native Smalltalk implementation seems to work fine
(given a fast enough CPU)

David Stes