[Cuis-dev] Vector graphics questions

Vanessa Freudenberg vanessa at codefrau.net
Sat Jul 31 10:39:31 PDT 2021

[reposting because this list has a limit of 100 KB per message that I was
not aware of – I made the screenshot smaller now, hopefully it will get
through]

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 3:50 AM Gerald Klix <cuis.01 at klix.ch> wrote:

> Hi Vanessa,
>
> On 7/31/21 5:40 AM, Vanessa Freudenberg via Cuis-dev wrote:
> > You can see the text on the left has much
> > finer details than in Cuis. Is there maybe a VM option I need to tweek to
> > get the full resolution?
> I have neither a working Mac, nor one with a Retina Display available,
> but I think Juan as posted a solution:
> https://lists.cuis.st/mailman/archives/cuis-dev/2021-March/002861.html

Ah, that would change the whole system – I want a VM that uses "high-DPI"
mode.

Actually now I remember that Tobias Pape built one a while ago. Lo and
behold, it works:

[image: hires-vm.png]

On top is the latest Cuis VM from dropbox.

Below is a VM with high dpi enabled. You can easily see that the VM below
uses full retina resolution, whereas the standard VM duplicates pixels by a
factor of 2, making everything blurry.

Of course that VM does not have the Vector plugin so everything is very
very slow. But gorgeous 😍

So ... this is the experimental VM:
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/files/2999560/Squeak64_201706232142-highdpi-v2.app.zip

Try it if you have a Retina Mac! Smalltalk never looked so good before! 💜

This is the ticket where I found that VM:
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/378

... but it was closed because it was deemed "too hard to get right" 😟

Maybe someone could take another run at the fence? All the vector graphics
gorgeousness only really comes out at full resolution. Or maybe there has
been some vm development I don't know about?

Vanessa