[Cuis-dev] CuisUniversity - New version

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Wed Mar 10 05:50:19 PST 2021

Hi Ken!

> Hernan,
>
> Many thanks for this.
>
> Some suggestions:
>
> [1] The download link for linux64 (and presumable linux32) does not run
> on my machines, all of which have ARM CPUs.  [Image comes up fine with
> ARM VM].

yeah, I do not have a way to compile the LiveTyping VM in ARM and the
students do not use that architecture
Remember that CuisUniversity's target is college students of 2do/3er year
in Argentina and to reduce the impact of installing Cuis for them.

> [2] Excelente introduccion, pero no habla Espanol.  [Or something like
> that.  I don't speak Spanish.]  Duplicado en Ingles. por favor!  Also,
> perhaps set up a Cuis University YouTube channel with English videos
> explaining your highly excellent LiveTyping work!

hmm that is a good point, but it is in Spanish because that is the goal of
this distribution, Spanish college students.
I think we need to have a similar way to distribute Cuis and that would be
in English. We talked many times with Juan about this and it is coming :-)

> [3] Many package names do not relate to what they do: Aconcagua,
> Chalten, TDDGuru, ...  Open a Package Browser and look at the Package
> Comments.  How many say what they are useful for or point to explaining
> documentation?

If you look at the Aconcagua and Chalten directories
(Packages/Measures/Aconcagua, etc), there are papers that talk about them
and also all these packages come with tests that are the way we use to show
what they do and how to use it, but I agree that a better documentation is
needed.
I use the package description as a way to track the changes, now that I
think about it, it is not the intention...

> [4] No class comments in Denotative Object classes (among others)?  What
> are students for?  You should have help for this..

I'd love to have more comments but that has a price, the price to write
them and keep them synchronized with the code, so I prefer to use the tests
for that, I know it is not the same but it is good enough and they are
always synchronized with the code

> Again, many thanks for all your hard work on this!  It's the details
> that count.  Hundreds of them!  ;^)
>
> Thanks! and thank you for the suggestions!

Cheers,
Hernan

> Cheers,
> -KenD

<https://10pines.com/>Hernán WilkinsonSoftware Developer, Teacher & Coach

Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

+54 11 6091 3125

@HernanWilkinson