[Cuis-dev] Renaming several fundamental Morph classes

Nicolás Papagna Maldonado nicolas.papagna at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 12:12:30 PST 2022

I second Mariano's request!

I don't really know what should I do to fix my packages.

Related to that, please check an email I sent a couple of days ago
("[Proposal] Keep a changelog").
I believe that would make the life of all of us who want to improve Cuis a
little easier when this kind of change happens.

Best,
Nico PM

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 5:09 PM Mariano Montone via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> several packages of mine have stopped working on Cuis6 because of the
> Morphic changes.
>
> I cannot find the email with the final changes. Is there a list with the
> final changes somewhere?
>
> And can I apply the renames blindly, or almost blindly? Like say,
> replace all mentions of WidgetMorph in my files with BoxedMorph, etc, etc.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mariano
>
> El 21/12/21 a las 16:02, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev escribió:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > It has become apparent that some class names I chose some time ago are
> > not meaningful enough. The most confusing is the meaning I assumed for
> > "Widget". Decades ago, Widget meant "UI element in some library". Today
> > it means "Anything the user can interact with". So, I want to do the
> > following renames:
> >
> > MovableMorph    -> MorphicWidget
> > WidgetMorph      -> GUIControlMorph
> > KernelMorph       -> SpecialMorph
> > WorldMorph        -> MorphicWorld
> > PasteUpMorph   -> PlaygroundMorph
> >
> > I hope these convey meaning more effectively.
> >
> > There will be impact on some packages. I have changesets ready to be
> > applied for all packages in repos in the Cuis-Smalltalk organization.
> >
> > Before applying all this:
> > Do you like the new names? Do you know better ones to suggest?
> > Any other thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks,

Nicolás Papagna