[Cuis-dev] [Vm-dev] Cuis on a RISC

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Wed Jun 15 05:59:19 PDT 2022

On 2022-06-15 03:06, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Nevertheless I don't understand Ken's answer.

> To make a story too long short: Obviously there never was a JIT version
> of the
> opensmalltalk VM for the RiscV-architecture (I don't know to state this
> in a more explicit way).

Gerald,

Sorry to be confusing.

OpenSmalltalk-VM has many delivery targets.
   OSs: Windows, Linux, MacOS, SunOS. [?RiscOS?]
   CPU Architectures: Intel, Arm, now Risc-V
      32 bit, 64 bit variants
   Displays & plugins
      [X-Windows, FrameBuffer, ..]

There are three basic VM "flavors"
    Original stack VM ["Back to the Future"]
    Spur [Stack VM with top of stack mapped to machine registers]
       a.k.s. squeak.stack.spur
    Cog [Above + JIT]
       a.k.a. squeak.cog.spur

The VM easiest to port is squeak.stack.spur

The squeak.stack.spur flavor is running now on RISC-V RV64 (64 bit)
Debian Linux.

No JIT (no squeak,cog.spur) yet.

HTH,
-KenD