[Cuis-dev] high-speed rich text

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at drgeo.eu
Mon May 16 12:53:11 PDT 2022

Le 16/05/2022 à 16:11, Shaping via Cuis-dev a écrit :

> Has anyone yet read the previous e-mail with the subject shown above?
> The e-mail contains a Pharo screenshot of an inspector, and discusses
> rich-text rendering speed.  The e-mail was held up by the server.  Can
> it be allowed to go through, so that I can see some meaningful
> discussion about high-performance text? Slow rendering of rich text is
> my main pain-point right now.

Try to post again with an attached picture smaller than 200kB (crop it,
8bits conversion)

> Why are emails with a screenshot being stopped?   The e-mail was not
> that big, and drive space is cheap these days.

Ah ah, I was caught too by this limit several time. But luckily Juan
raised its limit to 200kB, it was 50kB before.

I don't agree "drive space" and other related IT commodities are cheap
those days, in fact they have reached an unsustainable cost when you
consider their associated external cost on our planet (the true cost of
things).

Personally, before attaching an image, I always reduce its size in Bytes
to the minimum: I crop it to the only meaningful element, convert it to
8bits and save it as a PNG file.

> Why is the Cuis community not using Discord?   I find it much easier,
> quicker, and productive.

We are likely a small community with too few people hooked on Discord.
You are productive on Discord when you are searching for answer, if not
I felt it is as a drain for productivity.

With good parallelization of tasks[*], email is quite productive where
more time is given to thinking, nicely articulated answers and
archiving. In instant messaging there is too much noise.

Take your time to discover Cuis, you will discover it is a tool crafted
with a lot of attention and care. Because of this particular care, you
will find it is easy to extend and to extend and to adjust to your need.

Hilaire

[*] I am lucky to be about 6 zones away from several members of the
community. So an email sent in the evening will have a quite long time
of exposure and likely an answer the morning later.

--
GNU Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu