[Cuis-dev] Erudite

Douglas Brebner kirtai+st at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 15:35:21 PDT 2022

On 19/10/2022 20:29, Mariano Montone via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Erudite is a book composer and reader. It's up to the author how they
> want to use those books.
>
> I've used them as help system for Cuis (load EruditeHelp package), and
> also for documenting libraries and frameworks, like Morphic, PetitParser
> and Magritte.
>
> The contents of the book are interactive, so for example, the book on
> Morphic embeds the morphs it explains about, the PetitParser book
> displays parser evaluation results, etc.
>
> Also, you can easily embed and point to Smalltalk code.
>
> Just load MorphicBook or PetitParserTutorial packages and have a look.

I know the basics of what they are.

What I meant was, if it's meant to be an actual book system rather than
just a help viewer it could be a good idea to extend it so more of the
books structure is reified so they can be manipulated as objects instead
of raw text.

The reason I asked was seeing mention that Erudite doesn't understand
paragraphs or lists or other basic structures. I feel that a system for
books (rather than just help text) should be as capable as Markdown or
the like.

Also,I'm jealous of the documentation systems that Racket and Pharo have :)

Sorry if my original question wasn't clear.