[Cuis-dev] Cuis Smalltalk Draft Wikipedia Page finally reviewed -- and REJECTED

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Tue Jun 11 14:59:07 PDT 2024

Perhaps you can help.

I submitted a draft web page last February

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Cuis_Smalltalk

The TalkBack Discussion is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Articles_for_creation/Help_desk#June_11

vvv===vvv===vvv
     66.165.31.64 (talk · contribs) (TB)
         Draft:Cuis Smalltalk (edit | talk | history | links | watch |
logs)

KenD>>I have no real idea why this page was rejected or what corrections
might be made to be acceptable. It is a bit like submitting a draft of a
book and having it rejected because "there is a missing comma
somewhere". This page was submitted in February, and as an old retired
guy who does not write web pages or Wikipedia entries for a living, I
have tried to follow your formats to the best of my poor abilities. Can
you give me some help here? I can not see why Cuis is the only major
dialect of Smalltalk with no Wikipedia web page.
Perhaps note/mark places for improvement? I really have no idea what,
specifically, is bring objected to. 66.165.31.64 (talk) 19:18, 11 June
2024 (UTC)

     We don't cite GitHub (no editorial oversight) or ResearchGate (no
editorial oversight). —Jéské Couriano v^_^v threads critiques 19:22, 11
June 2024 (UTC)

KenD>>  Excuse me! Just because masters theses or conference talks (e.g.
https://smalltalks2023.fast.org.ar/talks) are not "editorialized" does
not make reliable, verifiable information "go away". You can easily
download, say, https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis7-0 and verify all
aspects and claims. Don't you believe software is real if it is open
source and available from GitHub? You seem to be eliding much of the
world here via editorial solipsism. Have you looked at the references
and seen any invalid information? Surely you must accept some aspects of
the world which exists outside of an encyclopedia. Some information is
self validating by its existence. KennethDickey (talk) 19:52, 11 June
2024 (UTC)

     @KennethDickey, what is being said here we don't provide proper
editorial oversight or in depth fact checking on the content either.
This is why the article needs be based on what others not connected to
the subject have said about it in what we consider reliable sources.
This means the sources used must show us there is impact on the greater
world though the independent and significant coverage in these reliable
sources. Github, Researchgate or theses do not achieve any of these
criteria. You can use connected source for simple uncontestable facts,
but again they will not help to demonstrate how they impact the greater
world. McMatter (talk)/(contrib) 20:06, 11 June 2024 (UTC)

     @KennethDickey: The problem here is that we are looking for evidence
a subject is notable by Wikipedia's terms, not that a draft's subject
exists. Existence has never been a criterion for inclusion. There is
also the matter that the bulk of your sources are to GitHub, which does
not exercise editorial oversight in the journalism sense (i.e.
corrections, retractions, fact-checks). —Jéské Couriano v^_^v threads
critiques 20:10, 11 June 2024 (UTC)

So it appears, to paraphrase, we may exist but unless written up in a
journal/juried-proceedings we don't matter enough for a web page.

It appears to me that FAST talks and SIGPLAN papers are not in
consideration.

I am once again frustrated/irritated by the procrustean Wikipedia
process.

Any ideas?

-KenD