[Cuis-dev] search path for packages

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Thu Jun 20 20:19:03 PDT 2024

On 2024-06-20 17:39, Mark Volkmann via Cuis-dev wrote:

> I really do want to get better at following the code. But I'm not
> seeing how you discovered the use of
> FeatureRequirement>>placesToLookForPackagesDo:. Here are the steps I
> followed:
>
> - search for senders of "require:" and find it in the Feature class
> - look at that class method and find where the message "name:" is sent
> to the FeatureRequirement class
> - look at that method and see that it sends the message
> "name:minVersion:minRevision:maxVersion:" to itself
> - look at that method see that it creates an instance of the
> FeatureRequirement class (with no initialize method) and sends it the
> message "name:minVersion:minRevison:maxVersion:"
> - look at that method and see that all it does is set instance
> variables
>
> Why didn't I encounter a send of the "placesToLookForPackagesDo:"
> message?

Different strategy.
- Selected `require:`
- CMD-M (or menu: implementors)
- Selecfed `FeatureRequirement` [worker class]
- CMD-B (menu: Browse)
- Browser shows findPackageFileAsReqOf:
- Selected this likely looking method and saw
`placesToLookForPackagesDo:`
- Selected this and CMD-M (implementors)

Probably shorter:
- World Menu -> Open -> Message Names
- type `findpackage`  [just a likely guess]
- see method `findPackageFileAsReqOf:`
- note `placesToLookForPackagesDo:`

Alternate:
- In Workspace, type `Feature require: 'SVG'. ` [or whatever]
- CMD-D [menu: DoIt]
- Step into/through using the debugger [requires much more usage to get
there]