[Cuis-dev] new YouTube video on Cuis Smalltalk

Joseph Turco joseph.turco.1990 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 06:03:19 PDT 2024

Jaromir,

When Alan Kay and Adele Goldberg were testing smalltalk-80, they were using
kids in school to play with it, using a teaching style called
constructivist learning. They let the kids explore the system, and then ask
questions for things they were not sure about. You would be surprised what
some kids came up with!

Sadly we don't have Alan's or Adele's beside us all the time, so that's
what makes it so difficult. Dispute Cuis trying to stay true to st-80, it
cannot be st-80 as that no longer exists, unless you run it emulated as
some have done. I think another problem, is that for me at least, I come
from trying to learn imperative programming languages, and expect to
execute it via command line and get my output. This is not the case with
smalltalk, and I have still not adjusted to it and done anything useful.

Regards,

Joseph Turco