[Cuis-dev] getting a Squeak VM for macOS

Mark Volkmann r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 18:04:59 PDT 2024

Can someone that uses Smalltalk on a Mac confirm whether this is the
correct way to obtain a VM executable?

- Browse https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm
- Under "Releases" on the right side, click "Latest".
- Click the proper file for your operating system and processor.
  For example, `squeak.cog.spur_macos64ARMv8.dmg`.
- Double-click the downloaded file to install it which will result in
Squeak.app
- Create a symbolic link to the virtual machine that is inside this app
  by entering the following:

  ln -s "./Squeak.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak" squeak-vm

- Execute a file containing Smalltalk code using that VM executable with
the following:

  squeak-vm {path-to-cuis-base-image} -s demo.st

  where demo.st contains something like the following:

| stdout |
stdout := StdIOWriteStream stdout.
stdout nextPutAll: 'Hello, World!'.
Smalltalk quit

When I do this, I don't get an error, but I don't get any output and the VM
doesn't exit.

R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.