[Cuis-dev] resolving recent Morphic changes

Mark Volkmann r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 06:47:57 PDT 2024

On Sun, Sep 22, 2024 at 8:33 PM Juan Vuletich <juan at cuis.st> wrote:

> On 9/22/2024 9:11 PM, Mark Volkmann via Cuis-dev wrote:
>
> I have an app that no longer runs with the latest Morphic updates.
> The LayoutMorph method addMorphFront: sends #isPlacedMorph to its
> argument.
> In my case that is an instance of TextEntryMorph.
> This results in a MessageNotUnderstood error because TextEntryMorph no
> longer supports the message #isPlacedMorph (Did it previously?).
> I see that the class TextEntryMorph is a subclass of ProtoObject and not
> Morph.
> That explains why it doesn't find the isPlacedMorph method.
> How should I fix this?
>
> --
> R. Mark Volkmann
> Object Computing, Inc.
>

> You're trying to make a subclass of a class that no longer exists.

I don't think I'm doing that. My app defines these classes:

- BasicButtonMorph is a subclass of ProtoObject
- BasicCheckboxMorph is a subclass of ProtoObject
- EditableLabelMorph is a subclass of LayoutMorph
- Todo is a subclass of Object
- TodoApp is a subclass of Object
- TodosPane is a subclass of LayoutMorph

Which of my classes did you suspect was a subclass of a non-existent class?

There recent changes in the Morphic hierarchy were discussed in this mail
> list. Please find and read those messages.

I did read through the recent posts and nothing obvious jumped out for me.

> Alternatively, you can use the system itself, explore it, and see what new
> classes replace those no longer available.

This short bit of code demonstrates the problem and results in
"MessageNotUnderstood: TextEntryMorph>>isPlacedMorph":

lm := LayoutMorph newRow.
tem := TextEntryMorph contents: ''.
lm addMorph: tem

--