[Cuis-dev] Proposal for more tests

Nicolás Papagna Maldonado nicolas.papagna at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 09:59:02 PDT 2020

Hi Everyone!

+1
IMHO, I think Hernan's proposal is spot on.

At least from my experience understanding, using, and modifying Cuis in the
past two years I found the lack of tests to get in the way of what I was
trying to do.
I feel it requires a lot more from me (both in terms of time and cognitive
load, so to speak) to get things done.

I also found the lack of tests to be a stopper whenever I tried to improve
existing code, too.
That required me to put a lot of time & effort in writing the missing ones
before I was able to contribute, and make sure I didn't break anything in
the process :P

Of course, as Hernan said, this is not something that can be done
immediately and/or might not apply to, say, experiments that are not part
of the core.

I believe having a clear direction on this topic will make things better
for all of us in the future.
Would love to hear your thoughts about this.

Cheers,
Nico PM

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 11:24 AM Hernan Wilkinson via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hi all!
>  I'd like to make a proposal.
>  We are making lots of changes to Cuis, which is great, but at the same
> time sometimes it generates errors and instability.
>  My proposal has to do with keeping the quality and stability that Cuis
> has and it is that everytime we make a change or improvement to Cuis, to
> attach tests that prove the change is correct.
>  Having tests is not only for today but for the future of Cuis. It is the
> only way we have to keep its good quality and stability.
>
>  We all know that it is not possible to test everything, for example the
> changes that Juan just did to Morph are very difficult and time consuming
> to test with automatic tests, but there are other changes, mainly to core
> classes or tools, that are possible to test and I think we should try our
> best to do it.
>
>  What do you think? do we give it a try?
>
> Cheers!
> Hernan.
>
> --
>
> *Hernán WilkinsonAgile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching*
> *Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
> *Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*
> *site: http://www.10Pines.com <http://www.10pines.com/>*
> Address: Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Nicolás Papagna